Postgraduate Researcher (Metamaterials CDT 2018)
Telephone: 01392 725018
Extension: (Streatham) 5018
Exeter University Physics Building G33
I'm a postgraduate researcher working within the XM2 Centre of Doctoral training at the University of Exeter. (Link to other XM2 postgraduates)
I am a member of the magnetic materials research group at Exeter (emps.exeter.ac.uk/physics-astronomy/research/emag/).
My current work, performed under the supervision of Prof. Robert Hicken, Dr. Paul Keatley and Dr. Maciej Dabrowski, involves the application of magneto-optical techniques to the study of optical switching in ferromagnets.
Previously I was working with Prof. Janet Anders and Dr. Simon Horsley on the application of techniques from quantum thermodynamics and open quantum systems to the study of ferromagnetic theory and magnetic data storage.
I graduated with an MPhys from the University of Liverpool in 2017 (Article). My masters project involved the application of a quantum mechanical potential model to determine the charge transfer within the III-V semiconductor indium antimonide using x-ray photoelectron spectroscopy.
During my PhD I have taken part in the following events:
(Reverse chronological order)
- 2020/2021 ENG1002 Scientific Computing (Python) workshop demonstrator headed by Dr. Konstantinos Agathos and Dr. Anna Ott.
- 2020 Suggested and planned the XM2 Minerva Prize, which was awarded to Louisa Brotherson for her talk on “Absolute acoustic sensor calibration for quantifying lab-generated earthquake sources”
- 2020 Helped to organise, and acted as technical support for the virtual workshops Extremag User Meeting 2020, Ex-Spring 2020, and Ex-Sping Industrial Conclave 2020.
- 2020 Worked as a member of the XM2 CDT Social Media team headed by David Newman. My role was to help establish the capability for a CDT Youtube channel alongside Ben Pearce and Ineta Grikalaite, with goals of providing a platform for current and former members of the CDT to share their research and experience in a casual and accessible setting, and to show the positive culture and environment that exists within and between our XM2 group members.
- 2019 ECM1102 Core Engineering 1 Electronics Labs demonstrator alongside Kavya Sadanandan and Jonas Riisnaes - Headed by Dr. Ana Neves
- 2019 (5th) Granada Summer school on 'Quantum matter out of equilibrium' - University of Granada (http://www.granada-summer-school.com/), Poster presentation - https://blogs.exeter.ac.uk/xm2news/pgr-connor-sait-at-quantum-matter-out-of-equilibrium-summer-school/
- 2019 (2nd) Advanced VAMPIRE workshop at the University of York (https://vampire.york.ac.uk/workshop/)
- 2019 Institute of Coding: Artificial Intelligence Workshop at the University of Exeter (http://sites.exeter.ac.uk/instituteofcoding/artificial-intelligence/)
- 2019 Time Series Analysis Python Workshop at the University of Bath
- 2019 IoP Magnetism Conference at the University of Leeds (http://magnetism2019.iopconfs.org/home)
- 2018 IoP Magnetism Winter School Workshop at the University of York (https://www.york.ac.uk/physics/magnetism-winter-school/)