Dr Alexander Powell
RAEng Research Fellow
Telephone: 01392 723064
Extension: (Streatham) 3064
My research is based around the novel fabrication and function of electromagnetic metamaterials. This means that I look to make these materials in new ways, demonstrate new effects and use them for new applications.
Some of the key areas I am interested in currently are:
- Broadband metamaterials based on interlaced meshes.
- Self-folding, (or shape morphing) materials based on origami or kirigami concepts.
- Materials with extraordinary electromagnetic scattering behaviours for radar detection/deception and antenna design.
- Metamaterials for RFID and lnternet of Things.
- Fabrication of metamaterials using additive manufacturing and 3D weaving.
If you would like to know more about my work then please feel free to drop me an email.
I am a member of Exeter's Centre of Metamaterials Research and Innovation and the associated doctoral training centre for PhD students.
If you are interested in undertaking a PhD with me or one of our other academics, please see here for a list of opportunities, and get in touch or apply now.
I am also a member of the leadership team for the UK Metamaterials Network, which is a community of over 600 university academics, and industry and governmenal scientists and engineers. If you are a student, postdoc, academic or industry employee, please join our community and engage with our events and activities.