Mr Conor Price
Postgraduate Researcher (Metamaterials CDT 2018)
Telephone: 01392 724198
Extension: (Streatham) 4198
I am a fourth year PhD student in the EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Metamaterials (XM2) at the University of Exeter. I completed my undergraduate studies here in Exeter, receiving a First Class MPhys (Hons) Physics degree in 2018.
My Masters project, titled 'Artificial Photosynthesis from Perovskite Structure Materials', was supervised by Dr Steven Hepplestone. This was a computational project employing density functional theory (DFT) to investigate the surface structure and properties of perovskite strontium stannate in the context of photoelectrochemical (PEC) water splitting. The aim of the project was to determine the electronic structure for various surfaces of my chosen structure, which in turn suggest whether the system is capable of PEC water splitting into hydrogen and oxygen. The project resulted in promising results, has been presented at two international conferences (the Fall European Material Research conference (E-MRS) in Warsaw, Poland and the Fall Materials Research Conference (MRS) in Boston, USA), and has resulted in a publication. We suggest that strontium stannate could be a suitable candidate for PEC water splitting, but can be further improved with the addition of a thin surface coating.
My current research is on 'Two Dimensional Metamaterial Batteries', supervised by Dr Steven Hepplestone. l will aim to create a theoretical model of transition metal dichalcogenide (TMDC) for electrodes in interalcation batteries using first principles methdos.
- 2nd Joint CCP9-MCC-UKCP-EPCC Workshop on Ab initio Periodic Codes, Daresbury, UK (21st-24th January 2019).
- Demonstrator for seven undergraduate modules (Mathematics I, Mathematics II, Quantum Mechanics I, Electromagnetism I, Condensed Matter I, Thermal Physics). This required me to mark weekly problem sets submitted by undergraduates, and discuss the problem sets during problems classes. I am also lead demonstrator for Stage 2 Physics Problem Classes.
- Tutor for Qunatum Mechanics I and Differential Equations modules.
- Chair/member of the Student Advisory Group (SAG). The SAG consists of members of each cohort to represent the student body at meetings with the Management and Oversight Boards. We help to implement new ideas that benefit the overall experience of our peers, to offer different perspectives, and to ensure the PGRs' opinions are heard. In particular, I took on the role of Outreach contact, giving my peer PGRs a point of contact to address any concerns with engaging in outreach activities.
- Arranged monthly seminars, aimed at the Quantum Systems and Nanomaterials (QSN) group. Coordinated meetings with speakers from within the group, and with invited national/international speakers.
- Outreach coordinator for the CDT.